Saturday, November 13, 2010

Speechless



The thing that I notice about this video is that the woman in it doesn't seem very ignorant at first. I bet she believes 90% of what she is saying. I know that desperation sometimes prompts the worst in us, but it rarely inserts qualities that we don't already possess. I also have to admit that I like seeing videos like this. Especially, after the media and some of my white friends try and convince me that racism is dead and buried. I can't decide if it is good or bad that this type of thing doesn't surprise me at all and in fact, makes me feel that my reluctance to drop my guard and sing unity songs isn't black paranoia. I'm gonna have to think about that one. Who know? Maybe I have become institutionalized by the institutional racism? Like a prisoner who has been looked up more of his life than he has been free. The bars are comfort. Maybe I need racism to feel comfortable and calm. I just that used to it. I seriously doubt it. But that's just my opinion though, and who the hell am I?

4 comments:

Jennifer Stevens Christensen said...

Ron,
I agree FULLY that racism still lives. It is more prevalent here than in other places. When I moved to Portland OR in 2003 I was shocked at how friendly EVERYBODY was. I had never experienced so many different cultures. It truly was refreshing to me. After living there for many years I moved back here. I was speaking to a very nice black lady while waiting in line at a resturant. Initially she was looking at me like I had 4 heads. I asked why and she said that most white people here (Wheeling) do not speak to black people or atleast that was her experience. All I could do was apologize for their ignorance.
Its a shame that whites here today still treat blacks with such disrespect, belittling them, when they should do nothing but show respect and kindness. Especially when that black person could be the ER doctor that saves their life or the teacher that educates their child. Maybe we should turn the tables on them for once.

My kids have a clear understanding of what is right and just and what is just plain ignorance. I wish others could rise up and teach their children the same. Differences can be a good thing but racism and prejudices are not. PS...great seeing you the other day at the high school :)

Rupal Bhandari said...

I completely agree that racism is still alive.
i am an Indian, and I live in India, and living in my own country I get to face racism many times. And this is not just shameful for any coutry that it's citizens feel so, but also pitiful.
I just hope that people know what they are doing, and they change fr better!

Pat said...

Put this on You Tube. I can see it going viral. Unbelievable. I don't see how that man stayed so nice during this episode. I would have so wanted to drive off.

Mixss said...

racism is the worst thing in the modern world. It should be stopped.

 
Custom Search

net visitor stats
PSP Game Systems