Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Death of Creativity in Hip-Hop

I love rap music! I've been a fan of Hip-Hop since I first heard "The Message" from Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five. Not to sound corny but, it really spoke to me. I can remember a time in the mid-80's were all the rap acts were trying to be the most original. Be it, De La Soul's style, Three Times Dope's swagger, or Das Efx's delivery; everyone wanted to standout and be their own MC. Nowadays things just ain't the same. Rap music is so formulated that I honestly think that ANYONE can make a rap single that would top the charts. Here is the recipe: Talk about your watch, Talk about your chain, Be sure to mention your rim size (anything above 22 is acceptable), Make sure you detail, "what you'll do to a nigga" (the more violent the better), Sprinkle in several drug references after that, ie. "a brick of the raw", "cooking cola", "selling birds", or "copping keys". Is anyone else sick and tired of the same old tired raps. I was told that in his debut CD Paul Wall mentioned Rims, Ice, Chain, Watch, and Wood grain; 659 times. Even worse, he went platinum. I miss creativity, witty lines, and punchlines that make you jump to your feet and scream "Ooooooooooooooooooh!!!". Those were the good old days were an MC was something born of talent, creativity, and vision; instead of something that a corporation or a trend could create. But that's just my opinion though, and who the hell am I?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! But, coming from the ole school you left out the major intrigging thing that causes every rap song to hit the top. You left out the parts of rap and videos that has to exploit women. Of course, the less clothing and the more you rap of us being a bitch sets it off. The nastier they are and the more they term us as ghetto queens, hot n nasty; supposely the better the song! Where are those words and the rhythum that use to make the music a song??...I guess that was the good ole days., but who am I.

 
Custom Search

net visitor stats
PSP Game Systems