Friday, April 17, 2009

Buddha Cards

I have a stack of Buddhist meditation cards that I keep on my coffee table. I try to read them weekly and use that as a sort of theme for the week ahead of me. Sometimes I don't get around to reading it until Friday. Usually, I read them and keep pushing; but today's really rang true and I thought I'd share. What do you think?

"You are now in control of your life. You see, the ego is never in control. The ego is controlled by wishes for comfort and convenience on the part of the body, by demands of the mind, and by outbursts of the emotions. But the higher nature controls the body and the mind and the emotions. I can say to my body, "Lie down there on that cement floor and go to sleep," and it obeys. I can say to my mind, "Shut out everything else and concentrate on this job before you," and it's obedient. I can say to my emotions, "Be still, even in the face of this terrible situation," and they are still. It's a different way of living. The philosopher Thoreau wrote: If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps he hears a different drummer. And now you are following a different drummer--the higher nature instead of the lower." - Peace Pilgrim

I dig this one because it addresses a battle that I believe the average person loses daily. Controlling the ego isn't the goal. The goal is combining the ego with the other portions of who you are so that you aren't completely ego driven, or the opposite, completely devoid of passion. If this is ignored, misery has a gaping hole to creep into. But that's just my opinion though, and who the hell am I?

No comments:

 
Custom Search

net visitor stats
PSP Game Systems