Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rest In Peace




Bishop Donald Pitts, a longtime leader in the black community, President Emeritus of the Upper Ohio Valley NAACP, and mentor to Laughlin Memorial Chapel youth, died Monday, March 2nd. He was a friend, mentor, and honorary family member to me. My most lasting memory of The Bishop was our car ride from here to Columbus for a dramatic reading at an area church. I hadn't really met the Bishop before then, but once he found out who my family was, he made sure I was sitting in the backseat with him. On the ride up, I just sat in astonishment as this man told me things about American history, Wheeling's history, and even things about my family; that I had never known. He was a wealth of information and knowledge. One thing that I hope I can carry on for him, is his passionate belief in his people. By, "his people" I mean black people, people from Wheeling, and from time to time American people as a whole. I will miss him dearly and I believe that no one will ever take his place. But that's just my opinion though, and who the hell am I?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bishop will sadly be missed a great deal by family, friends and community.

I also, will remember my first experience hearing him speak at WPHS on February 18, 2009. I took notes that day and told him I was going to use his quote and give him the credit. Lord knows, I didn't know he would be gone before I had a chance to use it. Here is what I gathered from him speaking on that day.

Lyfe Experiences: You have to communicate with people in order to learn and grow. You can not make it through lyfe without communication. Prepare yourself now for the challenges that lie ahead. The quote he used was:
"Are you a part of the American Dream? What you do with what you have been given will determine where this country is headed. you are the Future. Will you make America a place of equal opportunity?" This is the Battle Cry!

Bishop, I already miss you. I will do my part to make a difference, just as you have led by example. RIP

 
Custom Search

net visitor stats
PSP Game Systems