Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Another Schedule 1 word

The new Schedule 1 word is DESERVE. For those who are new to the blog, a Schedule 1 word is a word that has no positive or medicinal purposes; and should be banned. I'm not exactly sure what my problem is with the word DESERVE, but I don't feel like it is productive. To me, it hints at a benefit that lacks sacrifice or risk. It is the dictionary's way of saying, "free meal". It also feels like a broken promise. If someone was using that word in a sentence about me, I would feel slighted. As if I was getting a consolation prize for just showing up. I have heard it associated with a reward or consequence for something done in the past or accidentally overlooked, though. For those instances, I have a replacement word. I nominate the word Earned. When you feel the need to use the word DESERVE, instead, use the word Earned. To Earn something means that a noble enterprise full of sacrifice, risk, and reward has occurred and it screams for people to pay attention and aspire towards it. I would much rather hear that I have Earned all of the good & bad that come my way. Just because I DESERVE something doesn't mean that I get it. That's just my opinion though, and who the hell am I?

No comments:

 
Custom Search

net visitor stats
PSP Game Systems